.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sarah Palin and Tall

Okay, bad joke -- but her name is an anagram for plain -- I also note that Glen Close did play the role of a vice president at one time.

The good thing about the pick: It's not Lieberman or some other "moderate" choice guaranteed to split the party--we've already got McCain for that. I guess Romney was likewise out by virtue of evangelical blackmail.

So McCain picks a relative unknown. The Obamaphiles' retort is that she lacks experience, particularly foreign policy experience. I guess we should contrast that charge against all of the experience BHO has as a -- what was it again? Oh, a "community organizer."-- Funny they worry about her being just a heartbeat away from the presidency and so young and inexperienced, just being a governor, the chief executive officer of the largest state in the union; yet they promote a jr. senator whose past is cloaked in secrecy and who claims to be a uniter but his brief record clearly proclaims him the uberliberal partisan member of the chamber. Up to that last semicolon I was tempted to talk of pots and kettles, but I am constrained.

My 2 criticisms of Palin: (1) Her voice is not merely like fingers on a chalkboard to me; it's more like C-3P0 being slowly eaten by a metal shredder. (And in a salute to Joe Biden, let me give credit to James Lileks, from whom I believe I lifted that C-3P0 simile--although I forget for what it was that he was using it (That's Lileks, not Biden, who was using it). And (2) The picture they put on at least one of campaign the posters seems to be a poor pick for the former beauty queen; the glasses look like they were drawn on by my daughter well after the poster was printed. Oh, and my other second criticism: How many electoral votes does Alaska have?

Okay, so my criticisms are lacking in substance--but then again, so are most of my observations. Nevertheless, I pull no punches--it's just that I can't hit very hard.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?