.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

D-Day

June 6, 1944: The Allied armies conduct the greatest amphibious invasion of all time by landing on the shores of Normandy in the face of strong resistance. Thousands of brave men bled and died on those rocky shores. One of those who served and bled was my father-in-law who served as a medic and landed at Omaha Beach where a german bullet tore up his knee. He returned to service and was wounded again. He returned home at the end of the war with two purple hearts, bronze star, good conduct medal, and another award or two that I can't remember. He seemed to be the most proud of the good conduct medal -- as for the others, he was just doing what he knew he had to do. In his later years, the knee wound caused him difficulty. He died a few years ago, but his sacrifice and valor, like that of his fellow soldiers, must never be forgotten.

I was disappointed that none of the major networks aired The Longest Day or even Saving Private Ryan. I did watch Saints and Soldiers and highly recommend it. My friend Mike left me some WWII and D-Day documentaries and I look forward to viewing them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?