.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Strange but true

Away yesterday at a real estate litigation CLE. This morning I had 14 messages -- about 8 were from a girl in a custody dispute. She also came by the office. So when I call back today she has to tell me that she has just remarried, is pregnant, and she is moving out of state -- so now the court can't make her stay, right? I don't care how many times I explain "best interest of the child" to people, it's really about convenience for them. I really hate domestic work.

At Crimlaw (just find it on the links on the right) today, the Hammer discusses a man who tries to stymie the court's jurisdiction over him for an illegal u-turn through the use of a software licensing agreement, under which he is the software. Strange but true, apparently. I had a client who insisted on copyrighting or trademarking his name as a way to keep the court from having jurisdiction over him -- that was when I dropped him like a fresh sewage loaf. I once stood in as a courtesy for a colleague on an arraignment. The defendant appeared to be a normal, even intelligent person -- until he insisted that I inform the judge that he was making his plea as a common plea under the constitution or some nonsense like that. Later I saw him in the paper with a whole shipload of felony charges -- my colleague got away from that one too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?